Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well heres my problem. A pet peeve to be honest. When I go into Linux (doesnt matter which distro) I dont have the ability to use the wheel on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Microsoft Optical Mouse (Blue) USB Linux Driver?

Well heres my problem. A pet peeve to be honest. When I go into Linux (doesnt matter which distro) I dont have the ability to use the wheel on my house. I tend to use that quite a bit in Windows. After asking the instructor in my Linux class, he said he thought that could be fixed with a linux driver for the mouse. Is there one available? I did a search on google and didnt find much of anything relating to what I need. I also did a search here and didnt find anything.

So, has anybody fixed their mouse so they have the ability to use that center wheel to scroll things such as the web browser and any other browser window?

Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    I have a microsoft wireless/optical mouse under MDK10 and the wheelis working properly, what I did was to add the module "mousedev" in /etc/modprobe.preload, in gentoo you need to insert the modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Ok, I dont think I explained that well enough. Using the wheel as a wheel, works fine. I can scroll browsers. What I want to do is use the wheel as a button. In Windows, when I click the middle wheel, I can then scroll the page much faster by just moving the mouse up and down. Ive gotten used to that, but I cant use it in Linux. Is it possible?

Just Joined!
    to do that you will have to enable "autoscrollling" in your browser. here I use Firefox and it works properly.