Find the answer to your Linux question:
My internal sound card doesnt work windows doestn have drivers so i got a USB sound card, will I need to use wine for it cuz it not only needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap

Sound Card

My internal sound card doesnt work windows doestn have drivers so i got a USB sound card, will I need to use wine for it cuz it not only needs a driver but an app made for windows, i dont think therre a linux version, ill check but.....

Unless Linux [unlike windows] has built in drivers for my sound card, or my external one....

Wine doesn't need any Windows drivers. It uses the Linux drivers.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Banned
    I dunno, my buiklt in sojnd card didnt work, but when I installed XP eysterday sound was coming out, and when I took out the HD I seen a built in epaker behind the HD!!! I went to device manager and copied the files there to a folder on my USB hd and im gonna tell 98 to use those drivers, i dunno about linux, I hav the drivers for XP, i may need to use a warpper, unless linux has drivers for it, in that case ill take my USB soundcard back....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    It turns out that XP reads the built in one, 98 doesnt, but DSL does. If DSL does will ubuntu???? [Or any other distro????]

Also not sure, but I think my USB one needs to run an APP + a driver, the app send the sound throguht the USB to the sound card, or maybe the kernel/ driver duz it????

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Usually if hardware works with one distro, it can be made to work with another. Do you know what chipset the builtin card uses? If you don't know it, just run a Linux (or a live cd if you don't have Linux installed) and enter the commands below as root.
    Code:
    #lspci | grep -i audio
    or
    Code:
    #lspci | grep -i sound

Banned
    ill try dat, I know in XP it says its an "ESS Aleggro"

Banned
    k, in my audio prefs everything is set to USB audio [exept for audio streamign or something like that]. And when I to the thing to test and I hear the pulse all works well. When I use the juiced CD extactor to play CDDA it works.

But when I use any other app, like Totem or real player, the sound comes outta my built in card even though it's not suppsoed too, I'd prefer it to all come outta my USB deice, but if that doesnt work atlast one of my two audio devices does, but I dont think its a driver issue cuz audio CDs play and the pulse does.

System sounds come outta my built in one too..

PLEASE HELP, thanks.