Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to request recommendations on a sound card that works well with Linux. I'm looking for a high-end sound card suitable for an audiophile (recording, listening, and editing music) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please recommend a sound card

I'd like to request recommendations on a sound card that works well with Linux. I'm looking for a high-end sound card suitable for an audiophile (recording, listening, and editing music) and for a gamer. I'd prefer not to go much above $300. I'd like a straight PCI card that doesn't require an add-on card or an external component. (An add-on might be an option for later, but not right now.)

I appreciate any suggestions.

You can check the ALSA sound card matrix for compatible cards. As far as recommendations, the SoundBlaster series work well, but the newest cards might not have mature drivers yet. Some say the Turtle Beach cards are higher quality and better suited to audio recording and mixing, so look into that as well.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Creative has a bad reputation with audiophiles (or so I'm told), and there is no Linux driver for the X-Fi. (Creative plans to release a binary driver in mid-2007.) The Turtle Beach Montego does have a driver available. I've also looked at the RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 and 9652, which have ALSA drivers, but they retail for around $600. I'd like to find something between Turtle Beach and RME.

M-Audio and Digigram have ALSA drivers, and Digigram appears to provide at least limited tech support for Linux, but I haven't talked to anyone who has used one of those cards under Linux. The Digigram VX222v2 might be a possibility, though at $480 it's more than I really want to pay. Have you tried any of those cards? Or is there another high-end card you can recommend?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close