Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, Hardware: Compaq Presario 2184 notebook ADSL modem - connected though USB OS: Mandriva 2007 My net connection only works when I switch on my modem prior to boot. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB ADSL modem detected only at boot!

Hello everyone,
    Hardware: Compaq Presario 2184 notebook
    ADSL modem - connected though USB

My net connection only works when I switch on my modem prior to boot.
    (1) In KDE, when the modem is disconnected (physically/switched off) and re-connected, most of the time, the net connection automatically gets re-established. Sometimes, nothing happens, and when I do (as root)
    Code:
    service network restart
    I get
    Code:
    Bringing up interface eth2:  usbnet device eth2 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.           [FAILED]
    After which, I have to reboot. Other USB devices, such as my memory stick, continue to be auto-detected after getting this message. I get the same message when I do

Code:
    ifup eth2
    (2) In ICEWM, when the modem is disconnected, I almost always have to reboot to get back online.

I would be very grateful if someone can suggest a way of bringing up interface eth2 without having to reboot the system.
    Thanks in advance,

Guru

Just Joined!

Smile

Eureka!!
    udevstart (as root) does the trick, the modem is detected, and then the network can be reconnected without rebooting (phew!).
    when the network was down , lsusb gave:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    after doing udevstart, lsusb gives

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a5c:6300 Broadcom Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Still, I'd like to know why this happens, and I've noticed that sometimes the usbnet device dissappears without any reason. Is there someway I can configure udev so that hotplugging happens smoothly?
    Cheers,
    Guru