Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Ubuntu 6.10 and wish to setup a 2nd SATA hard drive that can be powered on/off after booting the system. The drive will boot just fine as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Detecting hard drive after boot

I am using Ubuntu 6.10 and wish to setup a 2nd SATA hard drive that can be powered on/off after booting the system. The drive will boot just fine as /dev/sdb if powered on at boot time. I am having trouble getting linux to recognize the drive if I power it on after boot. I thought the hdparm -R utility would work or even the contrib/idectl script in the hdparm doc directory. These seems to rely on the file /dev/sdb to exist which does not if I boot the computer with the drive turned off. It seems like there should be a simple way to do this but I have been spending hours with no success. I also plan to setup some IDE drives like this but for now am just trying to get this 2nd SATA drive to work.

Just Joined!
    Do you have the SCSI tools installed, if so do they see the drive after you power it up?

Just Joined!

scsi tools

Not sure what you mean by SCSI tools. After powering on the drive nothing changes in /dev. dmesg gives the following activity

nv_sata: Secondary device added
    nv_sata: Secondary device removed
    nv_sata: Secondary device added
    nv_sata: Secondary device removed

few pages of this. /proc/scsi/scsi lists only my primary SATA drive which I booted from.