Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday we could install and setup RHEL Linux AS4 on our erstwhile XP machine. The machine was freshly formatted and linux installed. The machine has an Intel Q965 chipset motherboard. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCI Network Adapter

Yesterday we could install and setup RHEL Linux AS4 on our erstwhile XP machine. The machine was freshly formatted and linux installed.
    The machine has an Intel Q965 chipset motherboard. The installation and the subsequent booting took place when we inserted the command pci=nommconf
    Now, we are faced with a fresh problem. The system does not work on the installed ethernet card- The card is a PCI- Intel 82566 DM
    /sbin/ifup I get an error.. no such deive present. cant configure it.
    I am unable to activate the device.
    The system shows the device well on modprobe- but says it is an unknown device.
    Can someone please help in tackling this and getting the ethernet controller activated please!!

According to this, you must also edit your grub configuration file with: pci=nommconf. I'm not sure if that is the problem as I'm not familiar with this though. Did you try configuring the device in:
    Code:
    system-config-network
    What does it say about your ethernet device there? Anything?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

PCI Network card on Linux

Yeah, I edited the conf file too.
    I downloaded the drivers from intel site too for this. The system shows that the card exists and the driver also exists. But doesnt activate it.
    I am stumped!

Even when you click on the "deactivate" button," and then "activate" in system-config-network, it shows it is activated but won't work? By what method are you determinig that it won't work? I ask only because it might be operational although it just seems like it isn't. In my experience, almost all ethernet devices will work with Linux and almost all the ethernet drivers are already present in the install. It's just a matter of getting the right driver for your card. During the install, did it appear the card was recognised?

Just Joined!

PCI Ethernet card installation

Yes thats correct.. even when we try to deactivate and activate, it doesnt work.
    But we seem to have resolved this issue just now. We found some tar files on the Intel site for Q965. We applied this and the card is detected and the machine is in the network now. The linuxiso download from intel. It apparently contains the required files.

Good! My next step was to look for the exact driver you need, then see if it was included in the install. Obviously it wasn't/isn't. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted.

Just Joined!

PCI Ethernet Card

Thanks Dan,
    Thank you for your support. I will be back with some more headaches..am sure.. Hahah