Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Linux for about 11 years, but I'm a bit out of touch with the state of Linux support for ADLS modems, routers etc - I'm only just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux ADSL

I've been using Linux for about 11 years, but I'm a bit out of touch with the state of Linux support for ADLS modems, routers etc - I'm only just getting broadband at home.

So I went into PC World and asked about their ADSL modems, and ADSL/Routers. They told me that all the (external) ADSL modems they stock are in effect WinModems, ie they need software from the operatings system in order to be able to function. I know that gallant attempts have been made to reverse-engineer Linux drivers for these modems, but I'd much rather buy a "standalone" modem that doesn't need a crutch from an operating system.

Can anyone recommend one (that you can still buy new) that they are actually using? I could use either a USB or ethernet modem.

Incidentally, I also asked about ADSL/routers, thinking that this is one other way to get broadband access. But they said no, most of their ADSL/routers also required OS support these days - although they did say that HP are an exception (but didn't stock any). I find all this very disturbing, to the point whether I wonder whether Linux is seriously under threat.

Quote Originally Posted by busterG
    Incidentally, I also asked about ADSL/routers, thinking that this is one other way to get broadband access. But they said no, most of their ADSL/routers also required OS support these days - although they did say that HP are an exception (but didn't stock any). I find all this very disturbing, to the point whether I wonder whether Linux is seriously under threat.
    Mine came as a standard BT Voyager router and worked pretty much straight from the box. I also got a USB working before that but that depends on the chipset as to how you configure it.
    The router is definitely the best route (no pun intended!).
    Pete

Just because you need software to use them doesn't really make them winmodems. ADSL uses PPPoE, and you'll need PPPoE software to use the modem. The one I used to use was rp-pppoe.

Just Joined!

re: Linux ADSL

pete

thanks for the info.

Did you receive a BT Voyager 105, as described here:
    http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...o.php?page=all

This is the modem which my ISP will supply with their package. Certainly sounds interesting!

buster

When I had DSL I had a westell modem. It wasn't a router.

Just Joined!
    likwid

I was probably being niaive... I just assumed a router would present a programming interface to an operating system, which would just have to know what to call, rather than having to implement anything.

buster

Well your ISP may give you a router and modem all in one, in which case you wouldn't even have to run pppoe software, because the router would handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by busterG
    pete

thanks for the info.

Did you receive a BT Voyager 105, as described here:
    http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...o.php?page=all

This is the modem which my ISP will supply with their package. Certainly sounds interesting!

buster
    Yes I did. I got it to work by using the Eciadsl software. It's quite easy - find it here.
    Pete

Just Joined!
    busterG,
    If you have not already obtained a router modem, here is a very strong recommendation for a Netgear DG834 which is wired, not wireless (less secure).
    Just visit Amazon UK and read the customer feedback. It is currently 43 including delivery.