Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm looking to build my own computer since I'm headed off to college soon and I need a little of advice since I am only a moderate geek at this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building my own computer

I'm looking to build my own computer since I'm headed off to college soon and I need a little of advice since I am only a moderate geek at this stuff.

First, is there any processors I need to go for? like I'm seeing all this AMD 64 stuff, will linux run on those?

other than that i think i'm good, does anyone have suggestions on what sites to look at for purchasing?

thanks.

DJ

oz
    forum.guy
    My parts usually come from newegg. Good prices and fast shipping...
    oz

Just Joined!
    yea thats where i'm looking right now, but i'm not sure what brands and stuff to go for processors

If I were you I'd stay away from 64-bit processors. There are Linux distros that will run on them with no problems, but I don't think you'll get better performance, and it'll just bring in some binary compatibility problems.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    yea, i just recently read up on that stuff so that is mainly why I asked, now, is everything amd with 64 in its name a 64 bit processor?

If you are on a budget you can check pricewatch.com for parts.

I think everything that amd sells with 64 in the name is 64 bit. By the way here is a good write up about 64 bit and linux http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html

I don't know what you are going to use this system for (games, actual school work, web browsing) but unless you are going to run some super new game there is no need to be getting the latest processors (I would say this included 64 bit). I would get a cheaper, but quality processor and spend that on something else (either on the computer or life in general). Faster RAM, bigger hard drive, etc....
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

You can try looking cheap processor that has head room for overclocking then try doing that. It worked for me, I have AMD 64 bit Sempron up to 2.27 from 1.6 Ghz. It took me a couple of days but now its stable at that speed and the maxim temperature it runs at is about 41C.

I agree about the processor. Also, if you're into 3D games, IMO a powerful video card will make a lot more difference than a powerful processor. Better to save money on the processor and use it to get a new nVidia or something instead.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    so if i get a 64 bit I can still run a 32-bit native and use 32bit programs and such?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast