Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Back when i was slightly less of a noob than i am now, i formatted a second hdd for my debian box, using ext2fs i believe, now i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitionless Drive

Hi,

Back when i was slightly less of a noob than i am now, i formatted a second hdd for my debian box, using ext2fs i believe, now i am doing another drive and realised that despite my using the drive for months now, there is no actual partition as such. It is one big glut comming under just /hdb. Is this ok? as i don't have any need for more than one partiton.

Any help very much welcome

Regards

RB

its not possible to use harddisk without partitioning it. one can format partitions only not harddisk block. if you have only one partition then it must be hdb1. check the output of fdisk -l.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    This is what i get, this is what alerted me in the first place:

Disk /dev/hdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

RB

it means your harddisk is clean and blank.
    now i am doing another drive and realised that despite my using the drive for months now, there is no actual partition as such.
    how did you use it? it isn't possible to save data in it without partitioning.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First