Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having problems with my mouse. If I move the pointer around the screen quickly then the pointer moves ok but when I move slowly i.e. to click the x ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mercury (c1330) Optical Mouse problem.

I'm having problems with my mouse. If I move the pointer around the screen quickly then the pointer moves ok but when I move slowly i.e. to click the x to close the window or move the pointer to a textbox it moves eratically. It will stop then jerk. This doesn't happen in win xp. Also there don't seem to be any drivers for linux.
    Under xp I use the microshaft intellimouse drivers and all the buttons work perfectly. Why not in linux? I could use my ms intellimouse but I'd have to swap mice each time I booted to the other OS. And clean the fluff out each day

Any idea's?

Just Joined!

No driver needed... only mouse protocols...

While Window uses thirdy part drivers for everything, Linux is more wide and flexible...

A mouse use a protocol to comunicate with the X server, so if you use a different protocol the X server can't know about you're movement, or it can misunderstand the mouse coordinates.

You have to check the file /etc/X11/XF86config (or something similar). This file can be edited with the command xf86config, but you can edit it by hand.

This file is organized by sections. You have to look for a InputDevice section, that describe your mouse. Inside that section you can find a line that specify the protocol to use with your mouse. You can see also the XFree86 man page for details, but PS/2 and ImPS/2 protocols are very common...

Maybe your mouse need a particolar protocol, so you have to specify it.

Usually you chgeck the solution by steps... You'll find the right.

P.S.: I've found some mouse that need a proprietary protocol. Of course this protocol can used only with Winzozz... Check it out...

Bye and good luck