Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm getting a new AM2 motherboard and only have one IDE connection on my mainboard, But want to connect 3 devices 1 DVD drive and 2 hard drives which are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fvs
    Linux Newbie

Have only one IDE connection?

I'm getting a new AM2 motherboard and only have one IDE connection on my mainboard, But want to connect 3 devices 1 DVD drive and 2 hard drives which are both IDE drives, My spec's say it can support four hard drives,
    What's the procedure?

Just Joined!
    Firstly, why not get an AM2 board with two ide ports, such as the Abit kn9?
    I have this myself, it is excellent value and it works superbly with Linux.
    The only minor drawback is that this board has no serial or parallel ports so you may need a new USB/parallel printer cable.
    For a single ide port board, I believe the only alternative is to use an add-on controller card such as the Highpoint Rocket 133SB with built-in BIOS.
    I would recommend option one unless you are dead set on a particular board. There are other twin ide port boards but I have no personal knowledge of them. Perhaps other posters can help.

fvs
    Linux Newbie
    Cruetset,
    Thanks for reply, I've already ordered it and it's on it's way. Maybe I'll try and get a usb external hard drive,
    fvs

PS Do you know how well a AM MSI K9N and an Athalon 64 work for linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Athlon 64 should be fine. The newegg feedback on the MSI k9n is pretty mixed compared to that for the Abit kn9.
    It is a matter of personal preference in the end. I recommend the Abit and others will rave over MSI, Asus or Gigabyte etc. The twin ide port is the better option IMO.
    How the MSI fares with Linux, I don't know. Maybe others can advise you.

If you do not feel 100% ok about the MSI board after looking up additional customer feedback/Linux compatibility just do not open the package. Swap it for something else. I am afraid the decision is your's alone. I do not mean to put doubts in your mind but I did spend an awful lot of time and effort doing research into Linux compatibility/component reviews before I finally selected my new system. It has paid off in spades.
    Also note that external hard drives are relatively expensive. Just do the sums and make a comparison of total costs.
    Try these reviews:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...ndup/index.php

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=530&num=1

The Abit kn9 boards referred to here are the ones with the 570/590 chipsets. My kn9 uses the tried and tested nforce4 chipset.
    Good luck.