Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear folks, I've got a Dell Latitude D505 notebook running Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.19) and Windows XP dual boot. LCD display 1400x1050 with Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM card. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LCD problem after BIOS update

Dear folks,

I've got a Dell Latitude D505 notebook running Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.19) and Windows XP dual boot. LCD display 1400x1050 with Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM card. Fedora installed i810 as a driver and everything went fine, until I updated the Bios from A05 to A11.
    This is an update recommended by Dell as they claim it fixes problems when swithching to external displays (and this was really annoying while giving presentations). Windows still boots without any problems and the LCD runs just fine.
    When I boot fedora however, the screen is shifted by ca 1 cm down (so the top cm of the LCD displays random pixels and the bottom cm is gone). The mouse is somehow loaded, as I can click things and drag&drop etc, but it is invisible.
    As there are no such problems with Windows, I hope it's just something with the driver or the x-server?
    On this blog the same problem is reported, but I couldn't contact the guy:

http://www-inf.int-evry.fr/~olberger...llatituded505/

he suggests not to update the bios, but I've done it now and wouldn't like to switch back unless really necessary

Would be great if someone had any idea on what to do! Thanks in advance,
    llorenzo79

It doesn't sound like it's a configuration problem or anything that's your fault, so you could try reporting it as a bug on the Xorg mailing list (www.x.org) and see what they say.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    Hi there,
    Now I also think this might be a bug. Olivier Berger updated his blog with the detailed circumvention that he found for the problem
    http://www-inf.int-evry.fr/~olberger...5/#postcomment

It works, but however I decided to down-grade the BIOS step by step again. A10 still has the same problem, but A09 worked. Now everything is fine again, except for the problem that occurs when you switch to an external screen.
    Ciao,
    llorenzo79

Just Joined!
    Great Barrier Reef -QLD-Australia on a boat
    Alternatively I noticed on my office lcd 19" that if the refresh rate ( I think it was) was changed from 70 to 71 the screen jumped up back to normal. Now try changing the rates as it might have been the vertical or horizontal rates.