Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been having trouble getting beryl up and running with my radeon x300 card, so i'm going to try it with my onboard nvidia. I went to my bios and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

switching from ati card to nvidia

I've been having trouble getting beryl up and running with my radeon x300 card, so i'm going to try it with my onboard nvidia. I went to my bios and switched it to be the default but the drivers arent working correctly with it. As soon as the ubuntu login screen appears the screen goes blank (but my monitor is still receiving a signal and i can hear the bongos and login sound when I login). How should I go about changing the drivers so I can use the nvidia card?

Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1

login
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

which driver am I supposed to pick? i dont see one for nvidia but I do see one called nv. Should I be doing this using my nvidia card? If so i cant becuase i cant see

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake42
    which driver am I supposed to pick? i dont see one for nvidia but I do see one called nv.
    Yop, that's the one.

However Beryl won't work with that driver. You'll need to install the latest NVIDIA proprietary driver.

The Ubuntu way :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

The other way :
    http://technowizah.com/2006/11/debia...a-drivers.html

But I believe Beryl should work with your Radeon card as well, provided you correctly installed the ATI proprietary drivers.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    yes totally agree XGL/Beryl do work on ubuntu even with integrated ATI graphics.I have got Radeon Xpress 200 chipset and integrated ATI x300 based graphics and XGL/Beryl is working really good.

Visit this Beryl wiki and pick your Ubuntu version and follow the guide and it will work for you too.

everytime I've tried installing the ati drivers it doesn't work. I've tried it three times going word for word by the wiki how-to site and each time, I reset the computer, the ubuntu load splash appears, and right as it stops using the default video drivers and switches to the ati one my monitor stops receiving a signal from the card. The only reason i'm trying it with my onboard nvidia is because i've totally given up on trying to use my ati card.