Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm trying to get a file server set up with 5 SATA II drives. My motherboard has two 4-port SATA controllers - an Intel ICH7 that uses the pii ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem getting 2nd SATA interface working

Hello,

I'm trying to get a file server set up with 5 SATA II drives. My motherboard has two 4-port SATA controllers - an Intel ICH7 that uses the pii driver and a Marvell 6145 controller. The Marvell interface is not working. I've tried a variety of drivers in the kernel for the Marvell, including the legacy driver. I installed Ubuntu Server, then recompiled the 2.6.20 kernel for my system.

Since I'm pretty sure I have the right driver for the Marvell in the kernel, I have a suspicion that it's not an incorrect driver, that it's some sort of conflict in the motherboard. Oh yeah, motherboard is a new Intel 975X2 board. You can catch all that info in the attached lspci file.

I need to get the 5th drive working so I can complete my file server and get a nice RAID 5 running to do some video editing, photo sharing, etc. etc.

Attached are three text files: dmesg output, a detailed lspci output and my current kernel config (split into two files due to size restrictions).

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Take care and have a great day,
    Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files