Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've started yet another thread where I need help. Hope it's not too many. Anyway... I want to build a budget linux box. I have found everything I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Video & Sound Card

Hello. I've started yet another thread where I need help. Hope it's not too many. Anyway...

I want to build a budget linux box. I have found everything I need except for a sound and video card. Does anyone know of budget cards that work well with linux? (mandrake specifically) Thanks for any responses.

If you have an AGP slot, you can use a nVidia GeForce2 or ATI Radeon 7500 for a graphics card. They are both older/budjet chipsets. If you haven't gotten a motherboard yet, I would suggest getting one with an nForce2 chipset. It is the best AMD XP chipset atm, and the integrated sound card is also on the top of the sound card market.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Agreed on the quality. But please tell me which distros support an NForce mobo out of the box? IIRC, you have to d/l the drivers from Nvidia and install them manually. I know it's not that hard, but it might be a bit much for a newbie.