Find the answer to your Linux question:
im working an a few diif distros to play with one of my HD'S I THINK is a 5400 rpm ata 100 would that make a slooww install?I have sevral ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

old HD help?

im working an a few diif distros to play with one of my HD'S I THINK is a 5400 rpm ata 100 would that make a slooww install?I have sevral older pc's im playing with

Generally speaking, there are several things that contribute to the speed of your install. The speed of the harddrive is just one. Also consider the speed of the optical drive (CD, DVD) that's reading the disc and the speed of the CPU that's handling the disc write commands. Any one of those could be a performance bottleneck.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    sys specs

1) p4 2.0 northy/768 pc2100//samsung ddv/cdrom from around 2003 (no lables on it)
    2) p3 933 cele //256 pc100
    on board vid for both as i have some older ati cards but well you know ati--lol

assorted HD's 3 i think are 5400 rpm the other is a wd that i think i broke as i must of installed like 30 diff distros on in like a month(it sounds like a jet )and 2 small quantum fierballs that seem to work but every distro ive tried on these 2 takes over an hour to do the install,I have 2 other nice and stable ubuntu boxes-(gotta love beryl on a 64 bit with a 7600 gt pci-e)

I am getting a tiny bit frustrated but i cant just throw out good older hardware know what i mean?
    heck i think linux was also made for the peeople who like to tinker around--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK IM offically calling my self a MORON

i forgot to check the jumpers on my hd's

sorry to waist your time

Quote Originally Posted by mrreality13
    assorted HD's 3 i think are 5400 rpm the other is a wd that i think i broke as i must of installed like 30 diff distros on in like a month(it sounds like a jet )and 2 small quantum fierballs that seem to work but every distro ive tried on these 2 takes over an hour to do the install,I have 2 other nice and stable ubuntu boxes-(gotta love beryl on a 64 bit with a 7600 gt pci-e)

I am getting a tiny bit frustrated but i cant just throw out good older hardware know what i mean?
    heck i think linux was also made for the peeople who like to tinker around--
    Ok. I'm confused. What is your question?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    it was why are my installs taking so long BUT i solved it thanx(had to set jumpers)

thanx!!