Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wanting to build a small server out of a slim line (but not mini ATX) tower and am wanting to use CentOS or Fedora Core. The server will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Compatible motherboards

I am wanting to build a small server out of a slim line (but not mini ATX) tower and am wanting to use CentOS or Fedora Core.

The server will only be running 1- 2 hard drives for a couple of web sites.

I would prefer an ASUS mo bo if possible and the ability to have raid 0 or 1. If ASUS is not an option, is there any other well known brands i could use that will help keep the price down ?

No shop assistants seem to be able to answer any questions about linux systems.

I would like to keep the price to a minimum on the mo bo and want to be able to use it for Celeron D and Pentium 4 processors with a 775 socket.

Any help from the wise would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way that i can tell if the mo bo is acutally linux compatible? The ASUS Australian site has been down for some time now.

Most motherboards are Linux compatible. I have yet to try a machine on which Linux doesn't work.

Generally you should look at the motherboards component, ie the different chipsets it is build upon.

Then you can look at the Linux kernel, and see if a driver exist for those specific chipsets. It sounds a lot more complicated then it is.

For example, the machine I use at moment has an Asus P5B motherboard, which works flawlessly under Linux, right out of the box (all drivers are included in the Linux kernel directly, no driver installation required). The Asus P5B is based on the Intel 965 chipset, with components like Intel HD sound, JMicron IDE controller, etc. Just look on the manufacturer's website, and examine the specifications of the board.

Most people don't bother doing that, as pretty much everything works in Linux.

When you have decided on a mobo model you like, just post the model here and we'll look at it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Enthusiast
    My old ASUS P4T-E board supported Linux very well. However, it did not have raid support and it uses RAMBUS memory which is still very expensive these days. I found it cheaper to buy new board with Core 2 Duo CPU, 2 GB DDR2 RAM and a new NVIDIA card than add another 1.5 GB RAM to my old board. The new ASUS P5NSLI board is also good with Linux. In fact, I only had to reinstall video drivers to boot into GUI on a previously installed Debian. The box says that the board supports SATA Raid 0,1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD (I haven't tried it yet), and up to 16 GB RAM (would need 4 x 4-gig modules, if such even exist).

Just Joined!

How about GIGABYTE GA-8VM800PMD

Thankyou both for the information. The P5B is probably an overkill on expense for what we want to do. As a point of interest, we ran a P5B Deluxe and found that it did not support Linux at all.

I have however found a Gigabyte board that you may be able to help me with. Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD. This board supports raid 0,1 and JBOD. The only issue that i can see is that the specs state that it is designed for the Pentium 4 processor.

We want to find a board that will allow us to build other servers and use the same board if possible and be able to use Celeron D 3Ghz in some and P4 3Ghz in others.

Do you think that we could use the above mentioned board with either the celeron processor or the pentium?

Quote Originally Posted by dact35
    As a point of interest, we ran a P5B Deluxe and found that it did not support Linux at all.
    As it is almost the same board as the P5B (based on the same Intel 965 chipset), it does work with Linux. You simply need to use a recent Linux distribution (ones that ships with a kernel version >= 2.6.18 ).

Some references about that :
    http://wiki.debian.org/Asus_P5B_Delu...ight=%28p5b%29
    http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/12/1...us-p5b-deluxe/
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/ASUS_P5B_Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by dact35
    I have however found a Gigabyte board that you may be able to help me with. Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD. This board supports raid 0,1 and JBOD. The only issue that i can see is that the specs state that it is designed for the Pentium 4 processor.

We want to find a board that will allow us to build other servers and use the same board if possible and be able to use Celeron D 3Ghz in some and P4 3Ghz in others.

Do you think that we could use the above mentioned board with either the celeron processor or the pentium?
    Yes, perhaps it can do the job.

It does support the CPUs you mentioned (proof).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee