Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
A BIOS capacity barrier is the computer's inability to recognize hard drive capacities larger than allowed by the hard-coded programming contained in its Read Only Memory (ROM) chip. For example, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A BIOS capacity barrier is the computer's inability to recognize hard drive capacities larger than allowed by the hard-coded programming contained in its Read Only Memory (ROM) chip. For example, your system BIOS might be capable of understanding a hard drive capacity up to 32 Gigabytes. You install a 40 Gigabyte hard drive and try to auto-detect it. The system freezes (hangs) because it does not understand the capacity being reported by the drive. In simpler terms, the systems BIOS just can't count that high. BIOS capacity limitations are the reason for BIOS upgrades, cylinder limitation jumpers, PCI Ultra ATA adapters, and EZ-BIOS which is part of the MaxBlast Plus installation software.These items help work around the BIOS limitations, making it possible for you to use the full capacity of the drive. In the past there have been 6 BIOS capacity limitations.

anyway i can upgrade the bios to read a larger amount

Quote Originally Posted by rock4christ
    anyway i can upgrade the bios to read a larger amount
    It appears that no BIOS upgrade are available for your system:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=93365&lang=en

But that doesn't matter, this 80G hard drive will work just fine on your system.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

i have an old gateway that is about the same age as that and i have a 120 gb hard drive in it. and yes there is a way to upgrade the bios to a newer version but its tricky and shouldn't be attempted just yet. most of the time now bios only limits how much ram can be installed. easy way to completely destroy a pc is to wipe the bios in an upgrade attempt.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    ok... ill go w/ the 80 and just partition it 30/30/20 (Xubuntu/Windows 98/music and stuff id put on both)

might be easier to install windows on the first partition. i have never had luck at installing windows on a second partition. install windows first then xubuntu. let grub get installed to /hd0 and it will have a listing for both windows and xubuntu.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    might be easier to install windows on the first partition. i have never had luck at installing windows on a second partition. install windows first then xubuntu. let grub get installed to /hd0 and it will have a listing for both windows and xubuntu.
    yeah i planned to do windows first neway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2