Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
my current hard drive on the old pc is 10gb, so i want to go up to 40(20 apiece for Xubuntu and windows 98 ) and i was wondering: with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting a new hard drive

my current hard drive on the old pc is 10gb, so i want to go up to 40(20 apiece for Xubuntu and windows 98 ) and i was wondering:

with internal hd's are compatibility issues possible (such as the connector from the hd to the motherboard) or physical space for the hd(like laptops needing a certain type) so is that an issue, or is it as long as its a internal hd your fine?

Quote Originally Posted by rock4christ
    with internal hd's are compatibility issues possible (such as the connector from the hd to the motherboard) or physical space for the hd(like laptops needing a certain type) so is that an issue, or is it as long as its a internal hd your fine?
    If we're talking about replacing a harddrive in a desktop machine, you're probably safe when it comes to space issues. Pretty much all desktop harddrives are the same 3.5inch form factor. Depending on the brand of your desktop (or if you built it yourself) you may have to get creative to actually remove the old harddrive. HPs are notoriously difficult to get into in my experience.

As for the connections, you're going to need to look at your existing harddrive and the motherboard it's plugged into. Harddrives usually come in one of two types: IDE and Serial ATA (SATA). Serial ATA drives are only found on relatively new computers however, so you're likely to find a regular IDE connection.

If the harddrive has a large, flat, gray cord coming out of it that connects it to the motherboard you have an IDE drive. You'll need to make sure the replacement drive is also IDE.

If the cable coming out of the drive is smaller (a little larger than a headphone jack) you have Serial ATA. Make sure your new drive supports a Serial ATA connection.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    turns out the old user manual that i just found says i have IDE. now my only question is what size is alright, because this one is a 3.5" and im not sure if this pc is a 2.5" or 3.5", or should either work fine?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    turns out the old user manual that i just found says i have IDE. now my only question is what size is alright, because this one is a 3.5" and im not sure if this pc is a 2.5" or 3.5", or should either work fine?
    I've never run into a desktop PC that uses anything other than a 3.5inch drive. Laptops generally use the smaller 2.5inch drives. You should be fine. Keep your receipt just in case.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

For 2$ more you can have a quality hard drive (which has a 5 years warranty), double the size (80G instead of 40G): this one.

This other one is a good choice too.

Personally I would avoid Maxtor branded drives, as they are not as reliable as Western Digital or Seagates ones (for example).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

i agree they charge basically the same for the 40 gb as they do for the 80 because most likely they are built on the same line and it costs the company the same to make the 40 as it does the 80. Get the 80 and you will never be happier you did.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    only issue w/ 80gb is my old comp may have a limit, such as only showing the fist 32gb. im not sure tho, any way to find out?

only issue w/ 80gb is my old comp may have a limit, such as only showing the fist 32gb. im not sure tho, any way to find out?
    The limit, if there is one, is about 137 GB for any individual disks. So no worries there.

More info here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...-problems.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    The limit, if there is one, is about 127.5 GB for any individual disks. So no worries there.

even an ancient comp like this?

even an ancient comp like this?
    Ya, ya. No problem. Keep the bill, you can get a refund in case it does not work as expected.

-Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast