Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im looking for a Wireless Network Card(i think that is what it is, its the card that you place in the back of the pc to get internet from a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Network Card

Im looking for a Wireless Network Card(i think that is what it is, its the card that you place in the back of the pc to get internet from a wireless router) any suggestions for a good one that will work with this pc?

also, anyone know if the hd connect on that pc is serial or IDE

best way to find out is to get on newegg and look through their devices and see what the chipsets are on their cards. then once you find one that is covered under a certain driver you can install the driver.

hard drive looks to be IDE the way to tell is there will be two cables running from it if its a wide grey cable that is the data cable with a smaller white cable for the power its IDE serial will have a very small width most likely red data cable with a white power molex connector.

ps i found that with the madwifi drivers this card should work
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    best way to find out is to get on newegg and look through their devices and see what the chipsets are on their cards. then once you find one that is covered under a certain driver you can install the driver.

hard drive looks to be IDE the way to tell is there will be two cables running from it if its a wide grey cable that is the data cable with a smaller white cable for the power its IDE serial will have a very small width most likely red data cable with a white power molex connector.

ps i found that with the madwifi drivers this card should work
    will that card play nice with this router?

i cant see a reason why not. i use a dwl-g650(PCMCIA) on my linksys router and it works fine. i don't have that exact router.
    Blog

I have avaya silver and gold and both play nice with linksys. I also have and old linksys b that plays nice too.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

I have found edimax to be pretty reliable. They use the RT2500 chipset which is well supported in most linux distros (exception being suse 10.2/sled10). I use one such card for my laptop. It works a treat.
    link here:
    http://www.edimax.com/

Dude, as long as your wireless card supports 802.11g and is supported in linux you will have no problems. The router uses 802.11g any 802.11g enabled card will work provided it is supported by your distro. Don't pay more don't buy 802.11 pre n cards they will only work at 54 Mb/sec(max) with that router.

Just Joined!
    about the madwifi drivers, seeing as that comp wont have internet until i set the wireless card up, how will i get the drivers on there? and do you think windows 98 will load it up and have the drivers, because i plan to dualboot win98 and Xubuntu

you could download the .deb file the drivers are in onto your win98 partition and mount the partition and install the .deb package. but since i am a beginner with ubuntu i am not sure how to install the package without the package manager. might be a good idea to have another pc ready so you can have some instructions on installing the drivers and get it up.
    Blog