Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a Geforce Fx, and I have the driver from NVIDIA's website downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to install. It is a .run format, and when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Geforce Card, can't install driver

I got a Geforce Fx, and I have the driver from NVIDIA's website downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to install. It is a .run format, and when I try to run it from the command prompt it tells me that I need to quit the X server before installing it. Do I need to have my new video card installed before I install the driver? when I boot my system (Ubuntu) in failsafe, it won't open the file.

Quote Originally Posted by djluvsgod
    I got a Geforce Fx, and I have the driver from NVIDIA's website downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to install. It is a .run format, and when I try to run it from the command prompt it tells me that I need to quit the X server before installing it.
    Yes, you have to run that installer from runlevel 3 (text mode, not graphical). This tutorial might help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

Do I need to have my new video card installed before I install the driver?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you trying to install a driver for a card you haven't yet installed on your computer? I would recommend you pop the card in before you install any drivers.

when I boot my system (Ubuntu) in failsafe, it won't open the file.
    Can you be more specific? What error messages do you get?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    that helped alot, thanks. But now I'm having problems with opengl, apparently I don't have the right stuff installed, when I try to run 3d programs i get this message

"Unable to create OpenGL screen: Couldn't find matching GLX visual"

I went in synaptic package manager to install the nvidia glx but synaptic tells me it can't find the package when I try to install it.

*edit* I have been looking though a readme and stuff and I have discovered that lib files are not where they say they should be, particularly the libGL and libglx files, when I search these in synaptic they do not come up at all

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    do a search on http://rpm.pbone.net/ for the missing libs. Also, I suggest that you install the nvidia drviers through the package manager (easier).
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs