Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plan to install UbuntuStudio when that comes out. However my laptop is a little jerk with any flavor of linux. If it isn't the sound it is still the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need a couple of recommendations

I plan to install UbuntuStudio when that comes out. However my laptop is a little jerk with any flavor of linux. If it isn't the sound it is still the wireless(usually both). Well I have a about 100 bucks to spend. So I was hoping someone could verify for me a good type of the following in terms of compatibility:

1. Wireless NIC Card for Laptop

2. USB Sound card, yeah they make them. But if I cant find any I will take recommendations for pcmia cards too.

Thank you all!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    There is a big list of supported wireless cards available at the fsf. Personally I use cards with the ralink chipset because the drivers are completely opensource and are available on most distros.

I've never used USB soundcards, so can't recommend any. Do you know the chipset of the built in card (you can find out by doing "sudo lspci | grep -i audio")?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    There is a big list of supported wireless cards available at the fsf. Personally I use cards with the ralink chipset because the drivers are completely opensource and are available on most distros.

I've never used USB soundcards, so can't recommend any. Do you know the chipset of the built in card (you can find out by doing "sudo lspci | grep -i audio")?
    Thanks for the recommendation and the reply. The one built in to my laptop is a bcm4309 I believe. Figures right? bcm43xx driver doesn't work at all with it and I am sick of setting up ndiswrapper to get only moderate functionality and manageability.

If I don't get very many replies it seems that newegg's comments are helpful.

Thank you!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you tried the new Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)?

As Ubuntu Studio will be based on it, you should have a nice idea of what will work and what not.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    yes I have tried it. The wireless doesn't work at all. The sound works only if I put my speakers into the microphone jack any only if I mess with alsa. POS

my laptop not ubuntu.