Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that this has not got a real ot to do with win4lin however I do have it installed and running well. I desperately need some help. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

E2FSCK

I know that this has not got a real ot to do with win4lin however I do have it installed and running well. I desperately need some help.

I am trying to save a ghost image so that I don’t loose all of the 120Mb downloaded updates that I have applied. Norton ghost tells me that I have a problem with my file structure on the ext2 partition and so does Partition Manager.

I have a <>6Gb ext2 partition (with Xandros 2) first followed by a <>1Gb swap file partition followed by a C: Fat32 installation then followed by a NTFS partition all on a 40Gb drive.

When I try and run e2fsck I am getting “Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem can cause severe filesystem damage. Do you want to proceed?

Can anyone tell me how to do fix this filesystem? Please do not presume any prior knowledge whatsoever. I need the procedure spelt out exactly.

Linux Newbie
    unmount the filesystem and then run e2fsck

Just Joined!

e2fsck

I have no idea of how to unmount. I also have no idea of how to address the file system that I want to check. It is the master drive (1 of 2) and the first partition on that drive.

Linux Newbie
    okayz... start system in single user mode. u can do it from GRUB or a simple way is to login as root and then type init 1

in single user mode, type df -h

you'll get a result similar to this
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda6             3.9G  126M  3.6G   4% /
    /dev/hda1             198M  9.2M  179M   5% /boot
    /dev/hda3             9.7G  6.4G  2.9G  70% /home
    none                  504M     0  504M   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda9             6.7G  1.2G  5.2G  19% /pub
    /dev/hda7             1.5G   46M  1.4G   4% /tmp
    /dev/hda2             9.7G  3.2G  6.0G  35% /usr
    /dev/hda5             3.9G  159M  3.5G   5% /var
    now unmount each FS One by One.
    eg: to do fsck on /var do the following

Code:
    umount /var
    e2fsck -v /dev/hda5
    mount /var
    follow the similar process to rest of the partitions also..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if incase you've got ONLY ONE partition for ur Linux, you can do the following.

1.boot with your linux CD-ROM.
    2. select rescue at boot prompt

Your / filesystem will be mounted on /mnt/sysimage

now unmount the /mnt/sysimage, run e2fsck on your partition and remount it. now reboot after removing ur cd-rom

hope this info is of some help

Just Joined!

E2fsck

When I did the df - h I received a few entries to do with the other file systems but they were all in this format /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5

This was not what I expected or what you suggested. Nonetheless I issued a command along the lines of e2fsck /dev/hda5. I also was asked to run a manual fsck with no switches all of which I have done. I answered Y quite a bit and I think I have achieved what I wanted.