Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks Im thinking about purchasing an mp3 player from http://www.zicplay.com/ it is the VIZIO one and I wonder wich are the chances that it mounta as a generic usb device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Zicplay MP3 player

Folks Im thinking about purchasing an mp3 player from http://www.zicplay.com/
    it is the VIZIO one and I wonder wich are the chances that it mounta as a generic usb device in linux? ANyone had any experience with this brand? Thanks a lot for the infos.

Actually, it's a Vicplay brand MP3 player whose model name is VIZIO, which is a recipe for a lawsuit since there's another much more well-established electronics company called Vizio, which I happen to like. But I digress.

There's a good chance that if it doesn't use any special software to load/organize songs it will mount as a regular USB flash drive and work in Linux. I can't speak to this particular device however since I've never heard of the company.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Actually, it's a Vicplay brand MP3 player whose model name is VIZIO, which is a recipe for a lawsuit since there's another much more well-established electronics company called Vizio, which I happen to like. But I digress.

There's a good chance that if it doesn't use any special software to load/organize songs it will mount as a regular USB flash drive and work in Linux. I can't speak to this particular device however since I've never heard of the company.
    What do you man by recipe for law suit? Btw the manual sort of lists compatibility with Red Hat 8 but it is not something explicit it just says it can be mounted as an ordinary usb storage but as it sounded not so clear for me I found it would be better to ask here. I'm not a native english speaker so if someone who grew up with this language can double check my assumption I would be glad.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Maragato View Post
    What do you man by recipe for law suit?
    Well, in the US (which is where Vizio, Inc. is based) it's illegal to trademark a name for a product that is identical (or very close) to an already-trademarked brand. For example, no one other than Apple can trademark the name "iPod" or "iMac".

Vicplay apparently has a product named "VIZIO" which they have trademarked, which leaves the real Vizio company room to sue them to make them change the name.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Oki I took the risk and bought the mp3 player and yes it works under Linux life is great. To help people in future Google queries ZicPlay VIZIO works under Linux 2.6.20-15-generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maragato View Post
    Oki I took the risk and bought the mp3 player and yes it works under Linux life is great. To help people in future Google queries ZicPlay VIZIO works under Linux 2.6.20-15-generic.
    Good to hear!
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Good to hear!
    Pros: good price / size ratio, BUT
    linux support is not great it seems the flash was not properly erased with formating in linux, fixed by formating with windows tools. And it supports "only" fat, what is not a big problem for me but is also annoying. Anyway Im satisfied with my acquisition.