Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have an NEC ND-1100A DVD re-writer. I have just recently installed Suse Linux 9.1 PRO + KDE 3.2 Whenever I'm in KDE and I put a CD into the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Music CD's Not Working

I have an NEC ND-1100A DVD re-writer. I have just recently installed Suse Linux 9.1 PRO + KDE 3.2

Whenever I'm in KDE and I put a CD into the drive, KScd acts like it is playing the CD but no sound. Soundcard works fine to play system sounds / mp3's. I have an Audigy 2 card.

I noticed in KScd settings that the default device is /dev/cdrom

My DVD drive is showing it's name as /dev/hdc although i changed the setting in KScd and still no luck. Same problem.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    It sounds kind of simple, but did u plug your audio cable into your sound card. That seems like the simplest explantion for now anyway.

Linux Newbie
    Check if you have the arts-daemon running. It tends to screw the sound up by defaulting it at 0 level. Check KMix to make sure that is not the case for CD-sound (it was for me)

//ooop

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

still not working...

I checked the arts daemon. It's running. I also checked Kmix and that is not the case as the volume is up. Whats weird is that the drive works fine with data CD's / DVD's. The firmware is the latest version, also.

I know it's not a cable since everything works in windoze.

Anyone have anymore ideas?

Linux Engineer
    try useing "grip" to play audio cd's it is an excelent aplication!

Just Joined!
    I tried Grip. it does the exact same thing. I really don't think it's the software. I think it's a setting or a driver that isn't working quite right or something. Can someone else offer advice?

Just Joined!
    It's the cable. I had the same problem as you and fixed it with an audio cable from the drive to my sound card.

Just Joined!
    oooohhhhh. I need one of those little audio cables to run to my audigy 2 card like my older pc's had. interesting. I wonder why/how windows can just grab the audio from the card without a cable.

Just Joined!
    Windows can do it without the cable as media player converts the CD to Windows Media Audio and plays it via WAV out

Just Joined!
    i c. all of that encoding and when i have media player running it's utilizing 1% of my cpu. (P4 3.06ghz).

Now if i can just track down one of those cables at work....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast