Find the answer to your Linux question:
i loaded damn small linux from a USB pen drive and was able to mount it properly to access files on the device using: Code: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t vfat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with USB pendrive mount

i loaded damn small linux from a USB pen drive and was able to mount it properly to access files on the device using:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t vfat
    i got the files i needed (only to find that they were corrupt) and umounted sda1 and unplugged it (running the OS from a ramdisk). after reinserting, the same mount command didn't work. is the hotplug not working? is there a command to use to see which devices are mapped to what /dev/node?

When you use a mount command, you should use "umount /mnt/sda1" to unmount it.

hotplug should give some output to be visible with the command "dmesg" when you're not already on a command line. That means, on a GUI desktop, plug or unplug the USB device and then look what new messages are there when launching "dmesg".

USB doesn't make device nodes in the /dev/ directory, that's the USB device mounted as SCSI device.

USB shows output with "lsusb" or /sbin/lsusb" and with "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices".
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    When you use a mount command, you should use "umount /mnt/sda1" to unmount it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightcheese View Post
    ... and umounted sda1 and unplugged it ...
    heh...

i did check the dmesg as the machine was powering down and just saw a bunch of errors, but didn't make note of them. would posting the applicable dmesg help?

i will try out the usb tools you have listed there and see what i can see.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close