Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, just bought a new USB mouse which installed nicely in Windows and now I'm trying to get it to work in Linux. The breakdown: Code: # dmesg | grep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Not detecting USB mouse

Hello,
    just bought a new USB mouse which installed nicely in Windows and now I'm trying to get it to work in Linux. The breakdown:

Code:
      # dmesg | grep USB
    ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
    hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
    Code:
      # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    So while USB seems to be working, and I can use memory sticks, it doesn't seem to detect my mouse. I've tried compiling the options into the kernel and as modules but no luck.

USB and HID related options
    Code:
    CONFIG_HID=y
    CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
    CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
    CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
    CONFIG_USB=y
    CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
    CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
    CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
    CONFIG_USB_HID=y
    CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
    Thanks, Dom.

But when you plug in the mouse into the USB socket and then run "dmesg" without grepping for anything, you are getting some new output?

If you run "lsusb" with the mouse attached, you see only that single line?

That's the hub on your motherboard. You have only one?

If you plug in the mouse you should see there another line with vendor and product ID different from zero. Maybe a description, too. This line must appear there even if the USB device wouldn't work because a driver was missing.

What your "lsusb" is showing is a PC with one hub and nothing connected to it. Maybe the USB cable is broken.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    There is no output on dmesg when I plug it in, there is always that single line from lsusb. I have one hub I think, with two ports. And it does work in windows.

When you insert any another electrically working USB device (you don't need the appropriate driver for it, it's just for testing the basic USB functionality) and the output of dmesg or lsusb doesn't change, then USB isn't working at all on Linux.

I have no clue what could be the reason for this. If it's working with Windoze, then uSB must be enabled in the BIOS and the USB connectors must be working electrically well.

But without output of dmesg or lsusb the hotplug mechanism must be stonedead. I don't know what could be disabled as this would be a complete abnormal configuration.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, actually nothing is working - so when I said I've used a pendrive... that was a lie, I must have done it in windows.

Must be something in the kernel that I decided I didn't need, so I'll try a new default build and see what happens.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Yes, probably in fixing another problem I didn't notice that one of the basic USB options wasn't set.