Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I recently installed a soundblaster audigy card on Mandrake 10. Sound works fine on my cd player, sound works fine when Ksplash starts and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.xsession-errors ( kmix / kmixctrl Errors )

Hi,

I'm a newbie to linux. I recently installed a soundblaster audigy card on Mandrake 10. Sound works fine on my cd player, sound works fine when Ksplash starts and sound works fine when events happen: I start or stopp an application. However, I can't get the system bell to work even though I have it enabled in the gui. Also, I keep getting these errors in my .xsession-errors file:

kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.
    Please check that the soundcard is installed and the
    soundcard driver is loaded.

kmixctrl: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.
    Please check that the soundcard is installed and the
    soundcard driver is loaded.

Does anyone know if I should be concerned with these errors? Is there a way to get rid of them? Aside from the system bell, everything sound related seems to be working fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Just Joined!
    simple answer: ignore the errors or install alsa-utils if they are not installed at the moment and also alsamixer. If sound is working find leave it alone you don't need a system bell. kde and gnome always have sound problems because they are extremely bad with audio call it a fact of life.