Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a curious thing I have been researching and could be why USB optical mice will simply stop working after a while until it is re-plugged. I'm sure you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Optical Mice and the laser "dimming"

This is a curious thing I have been researching and could be why USB optical mice will simply stop working after a while until it is re-plugged.

I'm sure you are all aware of how when an optical mouse is not in use after a few seconds, the laser "dims" itself. I'm sure this has something to do with prolonging the life of the laser, but it may also be causing the issue.

In Windows, the laser dims. In Linux (Mandrake 9.2/10 at least) it does not dim, ever. The mouse is detected correctly (lsusb tells me the maker / type of mouse) I'm just thinking that the kernel has not been made to utilize this feature in optical mice.

Anyways, it probably has nothing to do with the mice dieing mid-use...but it's something that's happening differently than normal so you never know, it could be.

Linux Engineer
    hmm.. mine dims and btw i dont think it is actualy a lazer.. just an LED the dimming is handled by the mouse and has _nothing_ to do with what software you run afaik

Just Joined!
    Mind if I ask what mouse you are using and what your config file has for settings? My mouse is an MS IntelliEye.