Find the answer to your Linux question:
My computer is a dell with kubuntu loaded on it. A few days ago, my computer started saying corrupted data when booting. I began trying to fix it with fsck, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Diagnosing harrdware failure?

My computer is a dell with kubuntu loaded on it.

A few days ago, my computer started saying corrupted data when booting. I began trying to fix it with fsck, but I'm a linux newbie and never actually managed to do anything with fsck, since I couldn't figure out how to run fsck without it being a mounted partition (I never did run it so that it'd change anything). In the process of putzing around with a live cd and safemode (neither of which fsck would run under), it'd hang in the rebooting process, so I'd unplug it. Then it wouldn't boot at all.

When I turn it on, the lights go on, the fan starts, the harddrives (2) spin, the keyboard & mouse lights up, and nothing happens on the monitor. When I unplug the monitor from the videocard, the monitor displays the dell no signal picture. The light on the front of the box is constant. I've gotten it to beep once, but there is no beeping error code.

When I remove the harddrives from the case and listen to them, I can hear a faint clicking for both of them, but I don't have enough experience to know if that's the "click of death" or just normal use.

I removed the master harddrive and replaced it with the slave (and switched the connector thing to make it a master drive), but it still wouldn't go to bios. (My secondary drive contained only data, no operating systems)

Since my computer is kubuntu and the drives are formated ext3, none of the local computer repair places will help me.

From what I've found on the internet, it sounds to me like both harddrives have failed, but the odds of that happening at the same time seem slim without some other problem. Can anyone help me?

boot up from LiveCD and check if data is intact and partition are mounting.
    it could be memory problem. boot up from LiveCD and select Ubuntu MemTest at Startup menu. does it throw any error?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    As far as I can tell, it will not boot from livecd or at all. Nothing appears on the screen (the screen goes into powersave mode).

The screen is connected, and since an image of the dell no signal thing appears when I disconect it, I don't think there's anything wrong with the screen. Although, I could attach it to the laptop if someone felt it was worth testing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As far as I can tell, it will not boot from livecd or at all. Nothing appears on the screen (the screen goes into powersave mode).
    its not a Harddisk problem too. LiveCDs work without Harddisk.
    check memory sticks and processor.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    How do I check memory sticks and the processor?

I think the motherboard works because I can get it to give me error codes if I remove something.

It doesn't normally have error codes though, although I think it's supposed to if there's a problem with memory or the processor.