Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this may not be the best place to ask for help setting up a printer on windows, but maybe someone has done this in the past. My situation. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Printing to a CUPS printer from Windows

I know this may not be the best place to ask for help setting up a printer on windows, but maybe someone has done this in the past.

My situation.

I have my desktop machine, which runs gentoo, and has my HP PSC 1205 Printer connected to it through USB. This works no problems. the problem i have is when i try to add the printer on windows.

What i'm doing:

Going to add a new printer, choosing network printer then one "on the internet" Then pasting the address to the printer from the CUPS admin panel, click next, and it asks for the driver. So i choose the HP manufacturer, and look for the PSC 1205 in the model list, and it's not there. There's some PSC's there, but not the 1205, any of the 1200 series, or for that matter any 1xxx model number. I cannot get the inf file off the disc i got with it since that installs some software, which INSISTS i connect the printer thru USB (which i dont wanna do).

Does anyone know how to get around this?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Em, I know the question will sound stupid for guru like you. Have you tryed downloading windows driver from HP website?

Also is there any "generic" printer option in windows?

I have tried this, this is one of the things that HP's email support suggested. Thing is that it's a 166MB download, and it's all the software, i install this, and it asks for the printer to be plugged in through USB.

On the HP website, it does mention being able to use the "Generic" Deskjet 3450 driver, but this doesn't show as an option on the laptop either. I've read instructions on the HP website about setting the PSC 1205 up as a networked printer, but i follow the guidance to the point you "Add a new device" and i cant click next! I can only uninstall the software or cancel out the wizard.

I'm wondering if installing the printer as a USB printer (the bit of hassle it will involve unplugging the USB cable etc) then trying this setup, maybe that will work... i might try this tonight.

Thing is i dont think HP's support is useful at all. In one of their latest emails they said that the printer cannot be setup over a network then proceeded right after that paragraph to give me a link to setting up your printer (a generic guide) on the network, which DID include guidance on my printer!! I have asked TWICE for them to just send the INF file which they have blatantly ignored.

I'll give this a go tonight, and report back.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close