Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm a newbie to Linux, having installed Fedora Core 1 about a week ago. I have two soundcards in my machine (an onboard soundcard, and a Soundblaster Live Platinum). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux newbie needs help with soundcard issue

Hi.

I'm a newbie to Linux, having installed Fedora Core 1 about a week ago. I have two soundcards in my machine (an onboard soundcard, and a Soundblaster Live Platinum). My problem is that I want to use my Soundblaster Live Platinum instead of my onboard soundcard.

I did a Google search on this, and it came up with a previous thread on these forums, which can be found here. I followed all the instructions in that forum (given by Dolda2000), and eventually managed to get my Soundblaster Live card to play instead of my onboard sound. However, this only worked for one reboot. After I went back into Fedora after a reboot, my onboard sound was (and still is) the only card that will play any sound. Fedora does recognise my SB Live card, and I know it works, because it worked before.

Anyway, thinking that the problem was with the fact that my onboard sound was enabled in my BIOS, I rebooted Fedora again, went into the BIOS and disabled my onboard sound. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. My SB Live is still playing nothing at all, and my onboard sound is the only card that will play any sound. (I'm currently listening to an MP3 through it.) - I would really like to use my SB Live card, though, because I'm a musician, and would like to use the Rosegarden music program (as well as play UT2004!) without a rubbish sound quality.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Just Joined!

Re: Linux newbie needs help with soundcard issue

Quote Originally Posted by Electrode

I followed all the instructions in that forum (given by Dolda2000), and eventually managed to get my Soundblaster Live card to play instead of my onboard sound. However, this only worked for one reboot. After I went back into Fedora after a reboot, my onboard sound was (and still is) the only card that will play any sound.
    You say that the Soundblaster card did work for a bit. Did this sound originate from the computer or from a cd? Is it possible that the cable from the motherboard to the sound card is not attached? And that the sound you heard was actually from the onboard card? Changing the bios should knock out the onboard but I'm not sure that a stealth system workaround has not defeated the disablement of the onboard.