Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know where else to post this but this seemed to be the more appropriate place. I have a project I am working on where I want to connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

multiple monitors and keyboards

I don't know where else to post this but this seemed to be the more appropriate place.
    I have a project I am working on where I want to connect three monitors and three keyboards (usb keypads) to the same computer. Basicaly it would be like having 3 teminals. I want the computer to boot directly into 3 instances of a program I am writing that will require the use of the framebuffer. I wont be running X.
    Do I need 3 graphics cards (or 1 double-headed + integrated)? Is there a way for a single graphics card handle 3 monitors? How would I go about setting up which keyboard controls which monitor?
    Is it even doable?
    A lot of questions

WEll first off im not sure how to go about this either for ive never done it, but i'll givey ou my input. IF you want a graphics card to hand three monitors, it would have to have a hookup for three monitors, which I havent seen any of them. My suggestion would be to get a kvm switch, which allows you to hook up multiple computers to one monitor and use only one keyboard and mouse to control them all. I know u want three keyboards, but you can switch between monitors and use a kvm switch if you are planning on only using one computer at a time and not concurrently. There are ports on a kvm switch for keyboards and mice, but usually you connect the ones attached to the vga cable, but you might be able to just plug in your own keyboard and see if it works, ive never tried it. Also if you are looking to run several computers and their programs., I would recommend trying out ltsp. Go to ltsp.org to find out more, its what I use for my 12 computers and it has never given me any problems. Like I said this might not solve your issue, but might get you stepping in the right direction.
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Linux Newbie
    OK I'll be more clear on what I want to do.
    I want the computer to boot into three terminals, each terminal on a different monitor, each terminal controlled by its own keyboard. Each terminal will automatically load the program. Can it be done?

Just Joined!

Cool about.... 50% doable.. IMO

I don't know what you can specify in linux, as far as what keyboard and mouse is bound to which desktop, but I do know that two, three, up to 8 (yes, and maybe even 12 monitors on one system is possible. EVGA is making a motherboard with 3 PCIEx16 slots, I don't know if you are able to run /three/ video cards at once, but we have ran two video cards MANY times. nVidia has some cool cards, The NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440, and NVIDIA Quadro® FX 4500 X2 are both cards that will run /four/ monitors /PER/ card. There is a version of one of their cards that has High Density connectors on the back instead of the DVI connectors, but I forget what the modelnumber is (that is the card that I have personally put into a system that was being built for a Stock tradeing company, wanting to run 8 seperate monitors simultaneously.

Now, as I said, I don't know about the keyboard and mouse part.. as far as I know, Keyboard and mouse input has always been channeled from multiple devices to only one control gateway... or whatever you call it. You can put fourty mice on a computer and have mouse wars.. but you can't have two mice and two cursers.. in my experiance. Linux though, it might work. Why not seee if you can build very small, cheap and lowpower systems to run as remote terminals, and use the one comp to run as a server? that's how libraries do it often..