Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been toying with GNU/Linux for perhaps a year now. But for the first time, I plan to be running it on a new machine, one I am building ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What Hardware Is Supported

I have been toying with GNU/Linux for perhaps a year now. But for the first time, I plan to be running it on a new machine, one I am building myself. I want to make sure all the hardware I pick will be compatible with GNU/Linux, since this is a server, and running Windows is NOT an option.

I plan to run the latest version of Debian. How can I make sure that the hardware I pick will be supported. My concerns are centered around the 64 bit hardware and SATA RAID controller I plan to buy. Many of the pieces will say something like they are supported by Red Hat and SUSE. I suspect, though, that it is supported by more distributions than that. But how can I be sure?

Thanks,

Dave
    - EndianX -

Quote Originally Posted by EndianX View Post
    I plan to run the latest version of Debian. How can I make sure that the hardware I pick will be supported. My concerns are centered around the 64 bit hardware and SATA RAID controller I plan to buy. Many of the pieces will say something like they are supported by Red Hat and SUSE. I suspect, though, that it is supported by more distributions than that. But how can I be sure?

Thanks,

Dave
    When a company says they're "supported" by Redhat and SuSE that usually means that the Redhat or Novell company has reviewed their hardware offerings and said "Yes, our distribution will work on that and we will provide customer support for it."

Nearly all the most popular Linux distributions have a 64-bit version available (Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSuSE, Redhat Enterprise). My only concern out of the hardware you've mentioned so far would be your RAID. I've not dealt with RAID in Linux myself, but there are several threads in the forum of folks having issues with it. Much like any other hardware component it just depends on who makes your chipset and whether the manufacturer has Linux drivers available (if there aren't free drivers built-in to the kernel already).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants