Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got Gentoo installed on my computer, all is well and good until I try to emerge more packages. My computer freezes anywhere from a minute to probably ten minutes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer Freezes

I got Gentoo installed on my computer, all is well and good until I try to emerge more packages. My computer freezes anywhere from a minute to probably ten minutes later. I have narrowed it down to being just defective hardware and not support issues. First I thought it was a temperature problem as when it first froze, I checked the temp soon after and it was up to 63C/61C. So I sprayed out the dust and just left the side open and it is now down to 39C/31C and still have the same problem.

Next, I ran system checks on memory, mobo, HDD, processor and found nothing, although my computer would often freeze doing extensive memory checks. However, it did it with many different memory modules that I tried, not just one.

After that the only thing I can think of that would be the problem is the PSU. I just wanted to see what other people thought, and if they had any ideas on possible problems.

Just Joined!
    assuming you use grub to load the system, try appending:

Code:
     acpi=off noapic nolapic
    to the kernel line of the grub menu.lst file