Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been itching to do some python programming with a webcam for a project of mine for awhile and was wondering; what are some of the more highly rated ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the best webcam for linux?

I have been itching to do some python programming with a webcam for a project of mine for awhile and was wondering; what are some of the more highly rated webcams that are compatible with Linux?

Something I could easily install, configure, and program using my Ubuntu box would be really great.

As you stated above, those would be some good basics. Something that is preprogrammed and preconfigured for Linux would be a good start. I figure anything that has a brand name and a warranty will do some good.

Just Joined!
    Well I did some looking around and have found an entire thread devoted to this same topic on slashdot:
    Here

At any rate, hope this helps anyone else that was wondering.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was thinking that you could possibly use any webcam. I think the idea of really mastering programming languages and an operating system is to simply grab something, such as any random webcam, and look at its coding, digital electronics, and ICs. Afterwards, start adapating it to the operating system.

I see what you're going at, though: It would take too much time to find what you want for your project.

However, I haven't really done a lot of work with camera technology. So, I couldn't really help you in that department. I suppose people who modify cameras and code could help you more in that department.

Just Joined!
    I think the idea of really mastering programming languages and an operating system is to simply grab something, such as any random webcam, and look at its coding, digital electronics, and ICs. Afterwards, start adapting it to the operating system.
    Well I am not really a linux master by any means (yet), but yes, eventually that is what I would like to be able to do. My only problem is that anything that I take an interest in has to be a fairly short project or something I am really into, otherwise I eventually shelve it. Need to work on that.

I did try to communicate with my usb old webcam like I communicate with my arduino board though I didn't get very far because of my lack of usb and python understanding. Can something like a webcam directly communicate with using a program, as opposed to a driver?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did find a good camera on the Ubuntu forums that is supposed to "just work". So got that out of the way.

Just Joined!

The Best Webcam For Linux

The best webcam for linux is currently the Logitech C200, it is reccomended as a "Camera that simply works" on the Official Ubuntu help site.

I have just ordered one but I know people who have used it and it is FANTASTIC. Do not hesitate to get the Logitech C200.

If you want the best and least hassle webcam for linux the c200 is the way to go.