Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm not new to linux, but I've only been a user so far. This time I'm back and I'm going to build an entire game console from "scratch" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a (game)console

Hi there,

I'm not new to linux, but I've only been a user so far. This time I'm back and I'm going to build an entire game console from "scratch" using regular PC hardware. Because I use regular PC hardware I'd like to install a linux distro, since it's the easiest way to get a PC to do what you want. So I should install a linux distro and program a bootloader to start x and opens probably a wine application on startup. I don't really see any problems so far.

To reduce the console's size I'd like to use a USB memory stick (instead of a harddrive) to put the OS on. And, for inserting game "discs" I'd like to use SD cards (through a USB card reader) or USB memory sticks.
    The first USB stick should be booted from the motherboard, and the other media should be mounted as soon as it's inserted so the software can access it. Can anyone give me some info? The last two things mentioned, can those be done? Plus is there something else I should consider while building this console etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Personally i wouldn't do something like this (dont let me discourage you though) because it will require a LOT of work and customisation. Also finding the games to work will be a challenge.

I will however say this. With the "hard drive" to boot off, why not look into Compact Flash cards instead of something like a USB Memory Stick. My reason for this is that (i believe) you can just get a CF card to show as a regular IDE/ATA hard drive, which may make the distinguished difference between the CF card and the SD Card for games.

Good luck with this anyway,
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley View Post
    Also finding the games to work will be a challenge.
    No problem, I'm going to make all the games myself too.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that booting from a CF card (using a USB cardreader, or maybe a IDE one) will be easier than booting from a USB memory stick? If possible I'd rather use a USB memory stick because it's even smaller than a CF card with reader.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    booting off a USB memory stick is possible, you just need to make sure that the motherboard's BIOS you're booting off has the ability to boot from USB. The reason i suggested a CF card was that these generally are more geared towards internal rather than external like the USB memory sticks. Also allowing you to have another free USB connection on the outside if you're not using it for the memory stick somewhere.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327