Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok So I'm using Mandrake 10, I upgraded from 9.2, While using 9.2 I encounterd no problems. I really don't think this has much to do with the upgrade BUT ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk Is Full!

Ok So I'm using Mandrake 10, I upgraded from 9.2, While using 9.2 I encounterd no problems.

I really don't think this has much to do with the upgrade BUT I could be very wrong.

Anways, I have a 10Gig Partitioned HDD Just for this Linux. Yesterday I went to download something and during the download it stoped and told me "Disk is full" Ok this was a surprise to me as I had a 10Gig HDD.

So I looked around checked folder sizes did some calculations etc

I found NO WAY i have all 10 gigs full, I deleted alot of Programs, Gimp BithcX etc I deleted everything I have downloaded in a while, I even deleted manuals, logs etc

Although I found it strange I found one file 7.8Gigs (Can't remember the name I belive it was something.activity.log) I deleted it and still my disk is showing 100% full.

This is so strange with my calculations no way I could be using more then 4 Gigs.

Please any help would be greatfull.

Just Joined!

Are you deleting onthe command line or with a GUI?

Are you deleting on the command line or with a GUI? Sometimes the GUI moves the file to the "trashcan". It is still on the disk and can be recovered.

A rm on the command line will make it go away for good.

Linux Guru
    restart your PC is the first thing todo. If whatever had generated the 7.8Gb file was still running and not restarted, the disk space doesnt actually get freed (even though you dont see the file any longer) becuase there is still an open file descriptor. Any application that writes to a log file needs to close the file descriptor when they have finished with the file, or they still have a "lock" on the file in a way.

Next thing todo would be to find out what is logging to that file. Find the file again, then run
    Code:
    lsof | grep <filename>
    which should give you an idea of what program is using the file.

Once you know what program is writing to the file, maybe configure it so it doesnt log so much if it doesnt need to, or look at rotating and compressing your log files as an alternative solution.

Jason

Just Joined!
    I transfer it to trash can then empty the trash can then I tried going into eterm and making sure there gone.

Its very odd even if I delete files it never changes always at 100% full

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    restart your PC is the first thing todo. If whatever had generated the 7.8Gb file was still running and not restarted, the disk space doesnt actually get freed (even though you dont see the file any longer) becuase there is still an open file descriptor. Any application that writes to a log file needs to close the file descriptor when they have finished with the file, or they still have a "lock" on the file in a way.

Next thing todo would be to find out what is logging to that file. Find the file again, then run
    Code:
    lsof | grep <filename>
    which should give you an idea of what program is using the file.

Once you know what program is writing to the file, maybe configure it so it doesnt log so much if it doesnt need to, or look at rotating and compressing your log files as an alternative solution.

Jason
    Thank you very much Your advice worked, thank you !

Linux Engineer
    run "df -h" that will show you what mount points have what amount of storage left.