Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, guys: I got a new dvd-rom, but I do not know the manufacturer and model of it. Now I have pluged it on my pc, however my Red Hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install dvd rom

Hi, guys:

I got a new dvd-rom, but I do not know the manufacturer and model of it. Now I have pluged it on my pc, however my Red Hat Linux 9.0 can not recognise it. Can anybody tell me where can I get a universal dvd-rom drive for this case, or how to do with this situation? For example, can I download some software to solve this problem?

Thx,
    16-Jun-2004

Try to read through whatever output "dmesg" gives you, and add it to /etc/fstab (look at the other examples in that file, cdrom fs is iso9660 incase you didn't know). If you need more help, just post here

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    please give more info about how you have tryed to access this drive.. with linux if you plug in a new dvd/cdrom then generaly there is no configureation that needs to be done before you can start useing it. try the following commmands as root (with a data cd in the drive):

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

(/dev/hdc would be the device on the secondry master /dev/hdd is the secondry slave)

if the command was a succes then running "cd /mnt/cdrom" should show you the contents of the cd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close