Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
pavlo_7... Thank You! I followed your instructions and was finally able to see my drive. lsmod returned what I needed to know: root@user-desktop:~# lsmod | grep 1394 ohci1394 36528 0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.

pavlo_7... Thank You!

I followed your instructions and was finally able to see my drive.

lsmod returned what I needed to know:
    root@user-desktop:~# lsmod | grep 1394
    ohci1394 36528 0
    ieee1394 299448 2 sbp2,ohci1394
    Just out of curiousity, I ran modprobe --first-time ieee1394 and it gave me the complaint you specified.

I then ran cat /proc/scsi/scsi and was returned the following:
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: WDIGTL Model: WDxxxA001RTL Rev: 52.1
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI
    I guess now I need to mount the drive and edit the fstab so the drive auto-mounts at boot, right? It's an old Win98 volume, so I guess it will be FAT32. That would be oh so cool if I could access the old data off the drive that windows had denied me for seven years.

qv

Linux Enthusiast
    now, type:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to get device info for the drive, and use it to mount the partition.
    Let's assume that the drive is /dev/sda and the partition is /dev/sda1.
    Mount it this way (as root):
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hd
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd
    Then browse to /mnt/hd directory, and see if the files are there.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    Hmmm... Still not there yet. And I thought I was so close. Well, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple. Mebbe it's time to plug in a different search engine and go harvest some sites. I need to get more comfy with the shell too. Definitely feeling the limits of my n00b status.

qv

Quote Originally Posted by pavlo_7 View Post
    now, type:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to get device info for the drive, and use it to mount the partition.
    Let's assume that the drive is /dev/sda and the partition is /dev/sda1.
    Mount it this way (as root):
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hd
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd
    Then browse to /mnt/hd directory, and see if the files are there.
    I'm missing something... I tried mounting the drive, but I get the complaint that "mount point mnt/hd does not exist"

Running fdisk -l lists only the two ide drives. Have I misread the output of cat /proc/scsi/scsi & mistaken the controller card for the drive? I didn't think so, but maybe I was wrong.

qv

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by questio verum View Post
    Still not there yet.
    I think there may be something wrong with the drive, or you need to create new device node for the drive, which is not "something really simple".

Linux Enthusiast
    Have I misread the output of cat /proc/scsi/scsi & mistaken the controller card for the drive? I didn't think so, but maybe I was wrong.
    No, you were right, it is the drive information. Looks like it's Western Digital drive.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm missing something... I tried mounting the drive, but I get the complaint that "mount point mnt/hd does not exist"

Running fdisk -l lists only the two ide drives.
    fdisk -l does not show any device info for the drive. You will first need to know what to mount before using the mount command, and even then, the device and partition number may be different ( not /dev/sda1).

Edit: about the mount point error, did you type "/mnt/hd" or "mnt/hd" ? Need to type all the "/" .

I don't *think* there's anything wrong with the drive. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. Seven years is a long time for some hardware -even if it's not being used. I'll put the drive back into it's protective box while I get better acquainted with the shell and all the wonderful things that can be done with it.

Thanks for taking me this far.

Know of any books that take an organized approach to learning the shell? I find myself at times during my day with no access to a pc, but with a little time to read. THX.

qv

p.s. Yes, I followed your examples using identical syntax, i.e. /mnt/hd. Valid concern though.

Linux Enthusiast
    Know of any books that take an organized approach to learning the shell? I find myself at times during my day with no access to a pc, but with a little time to read. THX.
    I can't really tell you which book would be best for systematic learning, since I have never used one myself (sure I read some but only parts that I needed). However I'm sure there are some good online books that you could print out and read. This thread should be a good start:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ting-book.html

Usually I learn new commands as I need them, meaning if I need to do something, I search Google, forums, magazines, and the man pages. Also, I look at the existing configuration files and code on my system. You learn more by actually doing things.

Well... here's one for the books: I had decided to put the ext. drive in storage for a while. I booted into WinXP for the first time in two weeks, so I could do a little cleaning before I upgraded to a new hdd. Strangely, I suddenly had access to the firewire drive. So I guess I can rule out the drive being cratered. I'll troubleshoot further tomorrow.

qv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast