Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using the same Nvidia 6800GS card and Dell 2001FP monitor for about a year now, always with Nvidia's official drivers. A couple of weeks ago I noticed my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DVI connection stopped working for higher video resolutions

I've been using the same Nvidia 6800GS card and Dell 2001FP monitor for about a year now, always with Nvidia's official drivers. A couple of weeks ago I noticed my monitor wasn't coming out of standby properly. The power light and backlight would come on, suggesting there was a signal, but the picture remained black. After trying different driver versions and X settings, I noticed yesterday that resolutions of 1024x768 and lower work just fine.

A little Googling pointed to the DVI connection as a likely culprit, so now I'm using the VGA connector instead, and have no problems getting the monitor's native 1600x1200 resolution that way. I'm just a little bothered that the DVI stopped working, and the VGA connection isn't quite as sharp.

I recall back when I had an ATI card and ran Windows that ATI had a driver option to use lower DVI frequencies for large monitors, and that solved similar issues for me at the time. Unfortunately, I don't see anything similar in Appendix B of Nvidia's README (X Configuration Settings). Does anyone know of a fix for the DVI frequency?

I'm using Debian Testing with Xorg 7.2 and Nvidia's 100.14.11 driver, by the way.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

For posterity, when seems to have worked in my case was to physically isolate the DVI cable as much as possible from other cables. I suspect a power cable or power supply was creating interference in the DVI.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!