Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All I have got a portable USB hard drive which was formatted using the windows NTFS file system. I have no problem reading from linux but i can only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

portable hard disc - cross platform operation

Hello All

I have got a portable USB hard drive which was formatted using the windows NTFS file system. I have no problem reading from linux but i can only write from a windows platform.

Can anyone suggest a way to make this hard drive readable and writable from any platform??

I do plan to use this hard drive on a Mac in the near future and i need to be able to read and write from any platform.

Thanks in advance
    IGGS

Which Linux distro do you have? most of Linux distros do not support NTFS write access out of box. install ntfs-3g package to enable NTFS write access.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hello
    Im using Ubuntu
    The problem also exists when i try writing from a mac.

is there a file system that will allow me to write to the disk regardless of which Os im using?

cheers
    IGOR

FAT32 : Mac OS X, Linux and Windows support FAT32 read/write access out of box.

NTFS :
    Linux -- install ntfs-3g to enable write access.
    MAC OS X ( 10.4 or later ) -- ntfs-3g is available for MAC too but Developer has abandoned it. No Bugs reported yet and you can give it a try. I never used it myself though.

I would suggest you to use FAT32 only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First