Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been reading all day trying to figure out how to be able to add and remove a SATA hard drive under Linux. Here's my setup: Tyan Tomcat n3400b motherboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SATA Hotplug / hot swap howto?

I've been reading all day trying to figure out how to be able to add and remove a SATA hard drive under Linux. Here's my setup:

Tyan Tomcat n3400b motherboard that has an on-board Nvidia MCP55 SATA controller.

My primary OS boots off of my Areca 1220 Array. (80 GB array for / and /boot, and a 2.7TB array for primary data storage)

I have a removable drive bay connected to the on-board SATA controller. I want to use this bay for backups. I want Linux to sense when I insert a drive, and mount the partition on that drive then activate a program that will scan the mount point for a config file stored on the drive that contains the backup set.

From the reading I've been doing, it looks my solution has something to with the libata and AHCI drivers, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. Does AHCI replace Sata_NV?

Any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    It was written about nVidia SATA support, on libata page:

"Newer NVIDIA chipsets are AHCI, and use the ahci driver rather than the sata_nv driver."

AHCI itself supports PM and Hotplug.
    link:

Serial ATA (SATA) Linux hardware/driver status report