Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Howdy folx, Last night a friend of mine brought the following program to my attention.: Skype. Internet based telephone,etc. So I though, lets give it a try, I have SB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SB Audigy 2 Plat Ex woos

Howdy folx,

Last night a friend of mine brought the following program to my attention.: Skype.
    Internet based telephone,etc.
    So I though, lets give it a try, I have SB Audigy 2 Plat Ex. (Big external box and remote control)
    I plugged in the mic in correct port. Opend op the volume, including the various volume settings in the mixer.
    No sound what so ever.
    I've switched from OSS drivers to ALSA drivers.
    Same results. (When playing a CD or movie; there be sound... lots of it.)
    Anyone suggestions, I've also tried a new mic.... No luck either.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Guru
    Huh?! Is Skype available for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Huh?! Is Skype available for Linux?
    YEp: Right here.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

I've tried it with Wintendos and it works perfectly.
    I guess that the drivers for the Audigy 2 aren't ready for controling the external box...

Linux Guru
    AFAIK, the emu10kX drivers are very good these days, so I think they should be capable of that. Maybe it's just some driver option?

I've tried both OSS and ALSA drivers, but none works.
    There are rumors that the 2.6.x kernel has improved support for the Audigy 2.
    I'm thinking about upgrading to FC2.

Linux Guru
    It could be that it creates several subchannels. In OSS that would manifest itself through several DSP devices. Try outputting some audio to /dev/dsp1 and see if it makes noise anywhere (like "ps aux >/dev/dsp1"). I'm not sure how that works in ALSA, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    It could be that it creates several subchannels. In OSS that would manifest itself through several DSP devices. Try outputting some audio to /dev/dsp1 and see if it makes noise anywhere (like "ps aux >/dev/dsp1"). I'm not sure how that works in ALSA, unfortunately.
    I'll give it a try but I think that the current drivers don't support the interface used between the extern box and the soundcard.,
    It has a Firewire extension too and that isn't found either.

I'm going to check the Creative forums and see what I can dig up.

Update: The EMU10k1 is the Audigy, the EMU10k2 is the Audigy 2.
    And that one is better supported by 2.6.x..
    So I guess were migrating to FC2 real soon.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Opnosforatou
    So I guess were migrating to FC2 real soon.
    You haven't considered Gentoo? ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast