Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Kubuntu 7.04 installed. I have had an issue with my DVD burner for some time now. Whenever I insert a CD\DVD or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell Insprion DVD-+RW Drive Issues

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Kubuntu 7.04 installed. I have had an issue with my DVD burner for some time now. Whenever I insert a CD\DVD or blank media, the drive spins indefinitely and KDE usually doesn't auto-mount the disk. If it ever does auto-mount, the disk is always displayed as being blank. I bought a new drive, but I have the same problem. I tested both my old drive and my new drive in my girlfriend's Insprion 6000 and they both work fine (she is also using Kubuntu 7.04).

Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Is this a problem with Kubuntu or a hardware issue? My drive worked fine for about four months and stopped in February. I was using 6.10 back then.

Thanks.

Update: I was able to boot from the Kubuntu 7.04 LiveCD. So, I think that this is an issue with Kubuntu and not a hardware issue. If anybody could help that would be great!
    Last edited by Neil Goodman; 08-03-2007 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Update