Another sound problem on FC3... VT8237/VT1617A
Like many others, I'm having a problem with sound. Built-in sound (on the motherboard), uses the VT8237 with a VT1617A CODEC. Previously, with WinXP, I needed to load some drivers to make this work. It then reported the sound device as "Vinyl AC97 CODEC (WDM)" -- Vinyl probably related to VinylDeck which is VIA's sound control program. At that point, everything was fine, so I believe the hardware is ok.
I've loaded FC3 and run up2date. Got the new kernel and lots of other stuff.
The system detects the 8237 and reports the sound device as "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller" using the module snd-via82xx. Seems reasonable. However, no audio output anywhere when I select the test button.
I've run a variety of mixers and turned up the volume and unmuted everything I can find. No changes.
I'm thinking, given the WinXP behaviour, that I need a module specific to the VT1617A, but I can't find any such beast. Any other ideas?
Partial lsmod output:
i2c_viapro 7245 0
i2c_core 20801 6 i2c_dev,w83627hf,eeprom,i2c_sensor,i2c_isa,i2c_via pro
snd_via82xx 27745 2
snd_ac97_codec 67489 1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss 47989 0
snd_mixer_oss 17089 2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 93001 3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 29125 1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 9541 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport 4929 1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart 9025 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 25953 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8525 1 snd_rawmidi
snd 52645 11 snd_via82xx, snd_ac97_codec, snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm, snd_timer, snd_mpu401_uart, snd_rawmidi, snd_seq_device
soundcore 10017 2 snd
via_rhine 23497 0
Problem Is Not In The Driver !!!
i have four motherboards MSI P4MAM2 (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...AM2-V&class=mb)
and i got the same problem. Chipset is using VIA 8237 southbridge with VIA VT1617A AC97 codec.
I figured out that this is generaly not a software problem but problem with the VIA 1617A codec itselfs. Some manufacturers (like MSI) developing cheap motherboards are trying to save costs as possible.
It looks like the codec itselfs has problem to source enought current, when volume is nearly 100%. Then happens that codecs put audio output to some weird mode and the sound is only playing very quiet and some noise it mixed in.
To get back to play normally i use this method:
1.) put master volume to 100%, also PCM volume to 100% or better put all output mixer controls to 100%.
2.) play some song which is really loud and dynamically (like Soulfly ;)
3.) try to mute/unmute master volume fast.
4.) when you finally hear it to play you must fastly put volume down. If not codecs will turn off immediately.
5.) so you got it, if this will work kill you motherboard manufacturer immediately (and send nuke to VIA)
I found some solution to raise the limit when the sound start to fall down.
On motherboard headphones front connector (this is where you have 2 jumpers which route signal to back headphones jack connector), you need to replace those jumpers with some small impedance. I have used 150 Ohm resistors and got no problems. Bigger resistor value means lower current to phones and smaller possibility that codec will stop working when will have not enought instant power.
Also when you use active spekers with some greater input resistance, this will work also.
I'm really pissed off that board manufacturers are ignoring this bug are looking like nothing happened..... well, are trying to hide they own incompetency
It works well with windows XP -> no it does not. Only difference that Windows driver does not allow to set volume so hight that this happen so often. But If you listen to some punk/HC will se that it is the same problem.