Completely New System - any recommendations?
I'm looking for help from the hardware gurus on this forum. I want to buy a brand new system (my needs are explained below). Can someone recommend vendors and/or systems that I should go for?
I've been a GNU/Linux user for several years, and over the years I've always upgraded my systems piece by piece, lots of components. I have parts going back 8+ years, a hodgepodge of SCSI, IDE, PCI cards, the works.
I'm sick of it, it doesn't work anymore.
I REALLY need a whole new computer (mine is well behind the curve now, showing signs of age, hardware errors), I need new features, so I plan to start from scratch and buy all new. I might keep parts if I can (like the printers, of course, since they're very good, and the network card), but I need a whole new setup and need help figuring out what to buy.
I use my system for just a few purposes: photography, writing / desktop publishing, web / internet, music (internet radio, home recordings). Here are my needs:
* SILENCE. My fans sound like I'm in an airplane hangar, I can't hear myself think! I want a very, very quiet computer.
* EASY ACESS The case should be easy to open -- good design. I always bought full towers but I wonder if they're even necessary anymore -- I love the idea of a laptop or a sturdy "luggable" desktop that I could put in a backpack and take with me for a weekend. That's not really a requirement but I wonder if I should get away from the full tower...
* PORTS: USB (for a printer and future addons), Parallel (for a printer), a way to read my SmartMedia/CompactFlash, a way to hook up a scanner (I have SCSI now, and a SCSI card reader, but will upgrade to USB if I have to), PS2 (for my old keyboard that I love)
* DVD/DVD-R/CDROM/CDR. I use all 4. I don't care if this is 1 or 2 drives, internal or external.
* LOTS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE. I'm thinking SATA? I have a lot of photographs, a lot of audio, and have to figure out how to get it off my current IDE drives and into the new computer ...
* TILTING MONITOR. I want to be able to tilt the monitor sideways 90 degrees to read text. Do they have these for Linux/X?
* DECENT GRAPHICS (TEXT and PHOTOS). I don't play games but am a photographer so want good support for that and for text (framebuffer?), I do a lot of desktop work with fonts.
* ETHERNET. I have cable modem thru my ethernet now (PCI), so I can keep that card or use whatever the new system has.
* GOOD SOUND (ALSA). I have a good Ensoniq card now (PCI) and want something that will be good and well supported. Also, should I get speakers or will they be built in to the monitor?
* GOOD BACKUP METHOD. I burn monthly CDRs now, maybe I should switch to monthly DVDR, or RAID, or tape?
The hardware has to have 100% GNU / Linux support, of course. Thinking about it though, I think my needs are pretty simple / modest. I need lots of disk space and would like a decent system, though.
Can any gurus recommend vendors or actual systems for my needs, or what to do? THANKS!