Find the answer to your Linux question:
Modem : Creative DI5655P chipset ESS2898 System : Mandrake 8.2 Problem: after loading the binary version of the driver that is floating around.. Accessing the modem crashed the system. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

PCI modem support

Modem : Creative DI5655P chipset ESS2898
    System : Mandrake 8.2
    Problem: after loading the binary version of the driver that is floating around.. Accessing the modem crashed the system.
    I recompiled the kernel with module support and added a new PPP driver.
    The modem started to respond to ATZ and ATM0L0 commands but the ATDT command sent it into some weird mode that crashed the system in a few minutes ( but doesn't actually dial or detect the dialtone ), Using the initialisation string written in the windows .INF driver also crashed the system.
    I don't know what to do, any Help?

Linux Enthusiast
    get a real modem. I say that totally seriously. If you still need to dial up, at least get a $25 external modem to do it with.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User

Wish it were that easy

If it were that easy I wouldn't have hesitated but here in egypt I couldn't find a real Hardware modem, so I'm trying to do with my winmodem, as for dialup, yes I still need to dialup, whether that is due to the high cost of broadband or its total absence in some regions of the world it makes no difference.
    However I did manage to acquire an external GVC modem 33.6Kpbs which turned up to be an even more hopeless case than the internal modem.. the indicator lights blink on sending commands to its port but no response is returned to the port.. dead end.
    So if u don't mind please give my situation some real consideration.

Linux Enthusiast
    check the website you got the binary driver from for which kernel version it is for. Then recompile that kernel version. One of the few drawbacks of linux, each kernel version changes some things about driver APIs making them better and faster, but breaking the drivers each time a new version comes out.

Linux User

not an issue

there are many versions of the driver but I found a driver compiled for the same kernel version i have, 2.4.18
    what's next?

Linux Enthusiast
    if it is a binary-only driver you should be able to type `/sbin/insmod $PATH_TO/driver_name.o`

Linux User

then what?

i do so.. and the module is inserted and taints the kernel because it's got no license...
    the module creates a /dev/essmod and links it /dev/modem.
    when i tell pppd to use the modem the system slows down for almost a minute and sometimes crashes.. where's the bug?

One question.. a friend of mine tells me that if u browse from linux using any browser like mozilla or nautilus it will show u text only not images is this true?

Linux User
    im not sure about the modem but as for the broswer

nautilus and mozill ashow pictures unless you tell them not to. Your friend may have bene thinking of links or lynx - text only browsers
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.