Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have been able to boot from a USB stick and run the ftp installation, the whole installation works fine but it says that X can't be started, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Fed
    Just Joined!

I have been able to boot from a USB stick and run the ftp installation, the whole installation works fine but it says that X can't be started, and I can't absolutely manage it without any GUI

X can't start

if I can solve this I'm kind of done

just to make sure nothing else would fail I went through the whole install process and the system was installed smoothly, it's just X not working

the only thing I know about the VGA is that it has 32 MB of ram that I suppose is more than enough ( I think it's an old matrox or geforce 400 or something like that)

I also tried with vga=771, nothing changes

any hint?

thanks for the other replies guys

Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and set Driver to "vesa" in Video Card section.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Its something like this :
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "xxx Video Card"
      Boardname "xxxx"
      Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
      Driver "vesa"
      Screen 0
    EndSection
    Save file and reboot.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    at the console , give the command

lspci

it will show all the devices present on ur system. search for vga & it'll show u the make & what kind of vga controller u have. if there is a driver for it in the system ideally it would automatically detect it otherwise once u know the make of the controller search for the drivers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Fed
    Just Joined!
    well I think X wasn't installed at all, if I cat the file I do ls /etc/x11/ it says no such file or directory

the fact is that during installation it said that X wasn't able to start and if I wanted a graphical installation I had to connect via VNC (I have no clue how to do it)

Fed
    Just Joined!
    ok I found that ubuntu (on my notebook) has a VNC client, I am installing centos on the other PC through my notebook via VNC, the default graphical installation

I hope X gets installed properly, I'll let you know

Fed
    Just Joined!
    so probably X is correctly installed but the problem seems to be the VGA card, it's a SIS 300/305 (found it out with lspci)
    I found a driver on the sis.com website but I don't know how to download it and install it from the centos box, I have no graphical interface

sis actually has a single linux driver so I suppose it should be working, but I'm a noob and don't know how to install it

Just Joined!
    post the output of the command
    "lspci".
    if the driver is loaded by default, it'll show u what driver is being used. if not, u can find the driver in the directory
    /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/video/sis
    #to load the drivers if u found them in the directory
    modrproble sis
    #to check what drivers are loaded
    lsmod
    if you don't get still. post the output of the commands above.

Fed
    Just Joined!
    here's the lspci results
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 300/305 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 90)
    this is the content of the /lib/modules/2.6.9-55.EL/kernel/drivers/video directory
    cirrusfb.ko console i810 kyro riva vga16fb.ko vgastate.ko
    as you can see there's no sis directory

and here's what lsmod prints out
    Module Size Used by
    md5 4161 1
    ipv6 236801 10
    parport_pc 24833 1
    lp 12333 0
    parport 37513 2 parport_pc,lp
    autofs4 28101 0
    sunrpc 163237 1
    ipt_REJECT 6721 1
    ipt_state 1985 6
    ip_conntrack 41077 1 ipt_state
    iptable_filter 3009 1
    ip_tables 17601 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
    loop 17353 0
    button 6737 0
    battery 9029 0
    ac 4933 0
    snd_via82xx 26565 0
    snd_ac97_codec 64145 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_pcm_oss 49400 0
    snd_mixer_oss 18241 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 97865 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer 30149 1 snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 9929 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
    snd_mpu401_uart 8897 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_rawmidi 26853 1 snd_mpu401_uart
    snd_seq_device 8265 1 snd_rawmidi
    snd 55973 9 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,s nd_seq_device
    soundcore 10017 1 snd
    b44 23629 0
    mii 5313 1 b44
    floppy 58609 0
    dm_snapshot 17413 0
    dm_zero 2497 0
    dm_mirror 30789 0
    ext3 117833 2
    jbd 72153 1 ext3
    dm_mod 65401 8 dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
    usb_storage 60937 0
    uhci_hcd 31705 0
    ohci_hcd 22097 0
    ehci_hcd 31429 0
    sd_mod 17345 0
    scsi_mod 125517 2 usb_storage,sd_mod
    I don't see any video drivers there...any idea?

Just Joined!

me too!

I wonder if this is somethg programmed at a lower level than BIOS (by interested parties)....?

I am having the same problem with two Dell Laptops I just bought. Same thing, I shaked the BIOS to set the CD/DVD unit 1st in the sequence. When it boots, it reads the CD unit, blinks a couple of secs. and then, Windows!

I tried with CDs that I had already booted on other machines like: Knoppix, Debian etch (original CDs) and Ubuntu 7.04. I wonder if there is somethg manufacturers can do to bypass BIOS?

My next idea was to disable the HD from the BIOS to stop Windows from booting but I am afraid if I might stay with a computer in coma

In the supposition that I can't have the computer boot from CD.... are there any alternatives? I partitioned the HD already so my guess is that if I can somehow "install" Linux in a partition and then update this info in a multi-boot menu, I might be all set (but how?). Any thoughts?

thanX,

Gerardo

Fed
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gerar View Post
    I wonder if this is somethg programmed at a lower level than BIOS (by interested parties)....?

I am having the same problem with two Dell Laptops I just bought. Same thing, I shaked the BIOS to set the CD/DVD unit 1st in the sequence. When it boots, it reads the CD unit, blinks a couple of secs. and then, Windows!

I tried with CDs that I had already booted on other machines like: Knoppix, Debian etch (original CDs) and Ubuntu 7.04. I wonder if there is somethg manufacturers can do to bypass BIOS?

My next idea was to disable the HD from the BIOS to stop Windows from booting but I am afraid if I might stay with a computer in coma

In the supposition that I can't have the computer boot from CD.... are there any alternatives? I partitioned the HD already so my guess is that if I can somehow "install" Linux in a partition and then update this info in a multi-boot menu, I might be all set (but how?). Any thoughts?

thanX,

Gerardo
    I tried disabling the HD as well but still no luck (you can try with no risk, you can just go back to the bios and re-enable it after you tried, but it won't make any difference if you already have you CD drive to boot before the HD), as you can read in the previous posts, if your motherboard supports USB boot (and I think it does because you just bought the laptops, they're not old) or if you have a floppy drive you could try to boot from them
    you need to get the boot image (in my centos version was /images/diskboot.img) and copy it to the drive (that has to be properly formatted, a FAT format with windows will do it) with dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sda1 (this example is for a USB key)
    obviously you need another linux pc to do this, otherwise there are tools that allow you to do this from windows, search for "rawwrite tool" but the one I found worked only for floppies
    after you have burnt this image to your USB/floppy you can boot from it and when you get the installation page enter "linux askmethod" and you'll be prompted to choose your preferred method (CD, FTP, HTTP ecc)
    choosing CD didn't work for me so I chose FTP and everything went smooth (the installer will download and install the packages needed for the installation hence you'll need a decent internet connection)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2