Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello guys I'm trying to install Centos 4.4 server on a PC that I have at home that I want to use as server I tried more than 100 times, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Fed
    Just Joined!

won't boot from cd - motherboard issue?

Hello guys

I'm trying to install Centos 4.4 server on a PC that I have at home that I want to use as server

I tried more than 100 times, no jokes, it wont' boot from the CD, and I've tried also with ubuntu and ubuntu server, no luck as well

I checked the boot sequence in the bios, flashed the bios but nothing changed

the motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X and I don't have any other motherboard to replace it...I think the problem is this motherboard but wanted to hear from you

I tried with 2 differend CD drives and 4 different CDs in total

I can boot and install windows regularly (and after that it works with no problems)

I would be ok if I couldn't go through the whole installation for some reason, but not being able to boot from the cd sucks!

any idea to get around this? ever installed centos on this motherboard?

any hint is highly appreciated

I opened the same thread on centos.org but considering it's not exactly a centos issue I thought maybe it could fit also here...

thank you

What error message your Machine throw on booting or trying to install any distro?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Fed
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    What error message your Machine throw on booting or trying to install any distro?
    just "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT"

with any distribution, it's a boot issue but I don't get why it boots with the windows cd...maybe the boot system on linux cds is different...no idea

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you test Installation CDs on other Machine? It could be badly burned CDs.

Fed
    Just Joined!
    Did you test Installation CDs on other Machine? It could be badly burned CDs.
    they boot on all the other pcs and I smoothly installed ubuntu 7.04 off the same cds on my notebook

Does it display "Press a key to reboot" only? Any boot screen or prompt?

Fed
    Just Joined!
    Does it display "Press a key to reboot" only? Any boot screen or prompt?
    the standard boot sequence, asus logo + POST screen where it searches for drives etc, everything looks fine
    after that, when it should boot an operative system or boot from a cd, it says Press a key to reboot

Thats weird. Bootable CDs should display boot prompt at least. Two machines in my lab have ASUS A7V8X Mobo and Debian is working fine on both. I have never tried any other distro in those. I will check Ubuntu and CentOS tomorrow.

Fed
    Just Joined!
    Thats weird. Bootable CDs should display boot prompt at least. Two machines in my lab have ASUS A7V8X Mobo and Debian is working fine on both. I have never tried any other distro in those. I will check Ubuntu and CentOS tomorrow.
    great, please if you can note down also the BIOS version you have on those machines

thank you a lot!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    great, please if you can note down also the BIOS version you have on those machines

thank you a lot!
    till the time u figure out the solution. there is a work around that i can suggest.

1. try to find more about pxe boot..... i.e boot from lan. i do it all the time. my laptop's cd drive is of no use now. so you can make one machine as server & install on the other machine by booting from lan or may be usb pen drive or cd.

2. u can try to have a usb cd drive & try installing linux from that may be it'll work. boot from usb & install rest of the stuff from the network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast